Thursday, May 7, 2009

Knuckleballers

So, I'm a firm believer in justness (as are many other people - I'm not claiming to be Gandi). I've had this talk about equality with Andy about our education system's grading policy. But who wants to talk about that? Let's talk baseball, my friends. I truly believe the game of baseball is one of the most lopsided games humankind has invented. Why would anybody in their right mind want to play a game where a superstar succeeds three times out of ten? Doesn't really make much sense in my pragmatic mind. But as put by Andy, "I dig it..." Even with pitchers automatically being favored 7.5 times out of 10, the game of baseball (in its purest form... cough*... steroids... cough*) is perfect.

So, you might be wondering how this relates to the knuckleball (knuckleballers specifically)?

The knuckleball is the most challenging pitch to hit. I have two quotes for you:

1. "If anybody knows the secret on how to hit a knuckleball, they would make a fortune, because I sure don't." (Or something on those lines.) - The Splendid Splinter

2. "There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

This leads me to the question, "Is the knuckleball a fair pitch?"

Answer: Absolutely not. And that's what makes it great. The knuckleball is the greatest pitch ever invented. My dad always said that if you can consistently throw a knuckleball for strikes, you can pitch in the Bigs until you're 80. Hasn't worked for me, but I guess there's still time... I wish I had stats on the major league batting average vs the knuckleball, but I don't. My guess is it isn't good. Knuckleball pitchers usually have a high ERA, but that's just because they might walk someone, then the next batter gets lucky and hits a bomb. Let me stress how much luck is involved in hitting a home run off a knuckleball. You have to have a few things work for you: 1) The pitcher messes up and the ball doesn't knuckle; or 2) You guess right and put the bat where the ball ends up knuckling to. Either way, the odds are automatically against you.

So, should Major League Baseball ban the knuckleball? I'm pretty sure Bud Selig would move the pitcher's mound back a few feet before he would come to that. Soooooo... I guess hitters are just going to have to put up with it. The end.

- Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment